Disable M365 Exchange Throttling
Microsoft now offer the option so you can now Disable M365 Exchange Throttling which is very helpful should you be in the position where you are performing a domain migrations from a legacy tenant into a new or existing tenant.
What is Throttling?
Exchange Web Services (EWS) is a web service that enables you to access Exchange Online data. By default, Exchange Online uses throttling to protect the performance and availability of the service for all users.
Disable M365 Throttling via Office 365
- Firstly Sign into Office 365 Admin page
- Click on Show All
- Expand Support –> New Service Request
- In the search field, search for EWS Throttling. Select Increase EWS Throttling Policy from the list and press Enter.
- Click Run Tests and wait a few minutes for the test to complete
- When complete, select 30, 60, 90 days to disable EWS Throttling Policy. A first recommendation is to do this only during the migration period. Check the acknowledgement checkbox secondly. Click on Update Settings
- Subseqquently EWS will be disabled for the period of days selected above and these settings will take place within 15 – 30 minutes on average.
- The test can be repeated after waiting 15 – 30 minutes, confirming that the throttling has been disabled.
The above steps typically increase migration speed when using applications such as MigrationWiz, Quest, or Skykick. Sometimes by up to 7X as fast as without this disabled. So Disable M365 Exchange Throttling is a simple and quick task but the benefits of speeding up an mail migrations from Exchange Online to Exchange Online is fantastic due to usually the small windows of time you have to complete these migrations.
Please Leave a Comment
If the above has helped you in increase the efficiency in a mailbox migration then please let us know by leaving a comment or feel free to share the article below. If you have any errors or require more details on anything covered then please comment. Lastly, looking for more Exchange articles click here.